PSALM OF IMAGES
Every now and then, there's a particularly (bad) example of the art of the advertising agency. Or maybe it's particularly good, since it made me take notice? We seem to be dominated by image-making, these days. Everyone has to have the make-over. At least it made me pray . .
- God, you made her so attractive
it is her sensuous curves that make her into a woman.
- Or is it just the advert that makes her look so good
her image polished only to catch the eyes of men?
- For the fashion was not always the same
the shape of women has sometimes been different -
- topless, in ancient Crete, with a tiny waistline
a bustle gave grace to Victorians with their proper deportment.
- Today, we speak about sex more openly
but women are still exploited in a world that is run by men,
- and men are also used as adverts
the softer image of a father to attract the money of women.
- Why do we use one another so much
is it possible to respect without exploiting others?
- Both women and men are made in your image
we need each other as equals, not as symbols.
- Teach me to respect my own sexuality
in my body to honour the other person.