PSALM OF PENTECOST
The Holy Spirit is traditionally present at creation, at baptism, and gives the sevenfold gifts to those who ask.
- "Be strong and full of courage:
for God is with you wherever you go."
- The Spirit of God strengthens my hand:
you make us bolder in our work together.
- For in us all is the breath of life:
you give true life to the people of God.
- Come, Holy Spirit, as the mighty wind:
as on the face of the waters at creation.
- Give us your spirit of wisdom and understanding:
the strength of good counsel and inner confidence;
- bring us knowledge and heavenly insight:
that we may delight in the worship of God.
- In you we find ourselves made whole:
your healing power is here for us when we need it.
- Come, Holy Spirit, as the gentle dove:
as you appeared to Jesus at the river of Jordan.
- You bring love and joy and peace:
the gifts of kindness, patience and goodness,
- in you is the promise of faithfulness:
the quality of real humility and self-control.
- We feel your prophetic inspiration:
our words can be clearer when we wait on you.
- Come, Holy Spirit, as flames of fire:
as you came to the twelve apostles at Pentecost.
- We wait for your stirring power:
my heart is wonderfully warmed by your comforting presence.
- Your fire burns away the injustice of the world:
the uselessness of evil you consume like kindling wood.
- Then we may share your gifts:
in serving one another we are living in your love.
- Come, Holy Spirit, as the bond of love:
for you join the Father and the Son as one God in unity.
- The whole love of God has been poured in our hearts:
through you, Holy Spirit, as you're given to us.