PSALM OF ASCENSION
40 days after Easter the risen Christ left this earth for his place in heaven. It is still kept on the 40th day, a Thursday. So there is also a festival of Christ the King in the autumn.
- You, God, are ruler of heaven and earth:
you have exalted your Son to his rightful Kingdom.
- Risen and ascended he is Lord of the universe:
you have given him authority as Christ the King.
- Now his rule has exploded into all the world:
he is with us for all time and in all places.
- As a human being he was born and died:
now humanity is risen and glorified.
- We can be confident in your power to save us:
since through your Spirit we have known his glory.
- For all the earth is yours:
giving power to our King, you give us courage also.
- With him we too can be exalted:
we can share a part in his Kingdom while living our life on earth.