PSALM OF BELIEF
Maybe "most people" think that believing in God is a bit embarrassing, or stupid. But, in fact, we all believe in something (or, more usually, someone), and it isnít thought of as odd at all!
- Most people think of you as boring and distant:
belief in God points to weakness or to problems in infancy.
- But surely that can't be right:
or, if it's sometimes true, it cannot be universal?
- Either you don't exist and you aren't a god:
or, if you're really God, you're vital to all of us.
- Belief is the only thing that makes any sense:
the alternatives don't add up to anything at all.
- If I am simply alone, the aloneness is unbearable:
if I am only a worm, why do I have such longings?
- It's simpler to believe in you:
I need to rest in something beyond myself.
- Then you must be more important than just a god:
you are critical for my confidence and for my future;
- I don't have to be out of the ordinary to believe in you:
faith is part of what it means to be human.
- Nobody thinks it odd that I believe and trust in my partner:
why should it be so strange to believe and trust in God?
- Perhaps it's just religion that's controversial:
faith and trust in you are crucial to life.