If you're a man, you might prefer to sit this one out. For Mary's Song (the Magnificat) is a feminist anthem, against the oppression meted out by men (not only in Afghanistan). This version is based on writing in "Celebrating Women" 1986.
- My heart is bubbling over with joy
the world will hear our praise and rejoicing.
- We honour the mother who bore us
like Mary the loving one we declare our gratitude.
- The life you give is a marvellous gift
with God it is good to be a woman,
- for you, our God, have recognised us
your goodness is showered on all who believe.
- The disregarded have been lifted up
the pompous and powerful shall fall;
- there's a feast for the empty-bellied
and the rich have discovered their void.
- Your word has been made good
from the dawn of time our day has been promised.