The story of Elisha’s servant is one which reminds us of the unseen powers of God that are around us all the time. And the epiphany festival (which seems to go on for a long time, some years) also reminds us of the presence of God in the gifts of gold, incense and myrrh.
- God you are around me always:
your presence continually surrounds me.
- I don't see you, but I know you are there:
I can't feel you, yet I'm aware of your attendance.
- The servant of your prophet could not see:
the young man's eyes were blinded to your closeness.
- Elisha prayed for his eyes to be opened:
and you showed him your power surrounding them.
- So show us your encircling presence:
the epiphany of your protection and care;
- then we shall worship you and bring you our gifts:
our goods, our prayers, and our lives in your service.
- At times when I am frightened, make me feel you're in command:
and when I have to be alone, help me know your abiding company.