- You, my God, are my single parent
you look after me and care for me always;
- you are a mother to hug me when I am hurt
a father to admonish me gently in my waywardness.
- Good parents don't always do what their children require
we need discipline to learn we don't get everything we ask for;
- and you don't grant me all I pray for
your answer to prayer may be 'wait' or simply 'no'!
- You've promised you will not test us beyond our power
there's always a way out of temptations,
- but you don't promise us an easy life
for you yourself are closest to us in our adversities.
- As we are often unable to help those we love
so your Son was helpless, nailed to a cross.
- You don't always give us the help we expect
for your hands are tied like ours.
- Yet who will know your presence except those who love you
who can feel your frustration save those who know you best?
- So there are no simple answers, even for you, my God
our faith depends on your presence, not on rewards.
- Parents watch children grow, till they become their friends
you call us your friends, as we trust in you.