PSALM OF DISASTER
The Lockerbie air crash happened just before Christmas. The anniversaries are bound to be hard, but every year brings a new perspective, and it is possible to survive.
- Is there no justice in the world:
why do some of us have such a hard journey?
- Christmas is the time for family joy:
it's also the time of the greatest misery.
- When troubles come, they don't arrive alone:
we often hear of three disasters;
- there are those who have more than their fair deserts:
it's not just that some are accident prone.
- Your promise is to let us face no more than we can handle:
your Spirit gives us strength to cope with everything that comes;
- you give us your presence and your understanding:
in Jesus you have known and experience our afflictions.
- We need to come to terms with our traumas:
every anniversary is painful, but surviving it helps us live on.
- New friends are made through accidents:
those who know how we feel can best support us.
- There's no answer to the question 'why?':
but, if you are with me, I can find a way forward.