PSALM OF CHRISTMAS
Christmas is about love, and how Gold’s love is shown to us, in spite of (or because of) all the decorations and excitement and anticipation involved
- God loved people, so you came to live among us:
you care for us all, and you will be with us always;
- your light shines on, in the darkness that surrounds us:
as the sun turns back on its course towards the summer.
- The longest night is over and the future is brighter:
bitter cold may still come, but the springtime will follow,
- so the darkness in our hearts you have conquered for ever:
your victory is won, we can claim it for ourselves.
- As the evergreen tree lives on through the winter:
so your love wins through to us, whatever may befall;
- throughout the bleakest day, we can warm ourselves with confidence:
for God's Son has shown us he has power over everything.
- God still loves people, and sustains us every day:
you care for us all, and you will help us always.
- For you speak to us gently, in our shopping and preparing:
your judgement presses down on us, yet with understanding.
- Hectic activity may blot out our deepest worries:
but you are closest to us in our quiet and aloneness,
- because your life on earth was forever marked by loneliness:
you know our depressions and our sense of isolation.
- But even in festivities we needn't just ignore you:
you take part in our weddings and in all our celebrations.
- In company, and by myself, you are always present:
for God's Son has sympathy with all our human feelings.
- God will love people and be closer to us always:
you care for us all, and you'll lead us on for ever.
- Family festivals can point to you like road signs:
the commercial world can show us how to love ourselves and others.
- Each year at Christmas, there is more for us to learn:
the enjoyment of children can help us become more child-like,
- for we can see your face in the wonderment of children:
in the need of the poor and the joy of the secure.
- Wise men recognise your ever guiding hand:
for you are always with us, leading on to new discoveries.
- Glory to God and in the world there will be peace:
for your Son shows you love us and your love embraces everyone.