PSALM OF DESPAIR
I never know what to say to someone suffering from real depression. So all I can do is listen and pray.
- It's raining outside, there's nothing I can do:
a cloud of depression settles over my mind.
- God, I am useless:
what's the point of living when there's nothing but failure?
- There's no joy in anything I do:
a great heavy weight presses down on my shoulders.
- I've no hope and no particular friends:
they used to be my support and they've left me alone.
- What have I done wrong:
is there a special reason for you to punish me?
- They'll put me back into hospital:
but they can't see what's in my mind.
- No one understands my feelings:
all I can hope for is to sleep forever.
- I'm afraid of other people:
the only thing to do is tell no one and stay by myself.
- Everyone's against me, they are persecuting me:
it's because I've committed such crimes that they're trying to kill me.
- Now I'm confused, so I call on you:
I don't know what is happening; help me mother my despair.
- If only I can trust in someone - don't fail me now:
there must be some way out, and you can understand me.