PSALM OF CHILDREN
- Older people can be selfish, too:
we blame the young for being thoughtless, but they aren’t the only sinners!
- The views of older people can become more narrow:
help us respect those who survive when we are gone.
- Parents are sometimes most aware of the future:
when there seems no future for our children, what are we to do?
- In poorer countries the youngest are sent abroad:
parents deliberately dismiss their children for ever;
- it’s the only way to give them a chance:
for life is possible only with the rich,
- so long as the children are allowed to travel:
they can be immigrants, when parents can not.
- Then do we mean to close our country to refugees:
in order to exclude drugs, must we keep out the children?
- The only solution would be peace throughout the world:
to prevent the famines caused by war.
- For it’s the children who will suffer:
we only push off our problems to future generations.
- God, give us sensitivity to the agonies of parents:
but grant us a stronger will to save the children.