PSALM OF MEMORY
- Are you there, God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob:
the strength of my ancestors, my father and mother?
- Thank you for former blessings, for me and for others:
for you are in charge of the past, even its failures.
- As long as we remember, it makes us human:
forgetting where we’re from gives power to death.
- God of the present moment, are you with us today:
Helping me look beyond, with new vision and energy?
- Be here to redeem for me this moment of trial:
your helpful Spirit inspires the enduring struggle.
- Life is not a race, but a journey to be savoured:
we are only trustees for those who come after.
- Today well lived makes yesterday a memory of happiness:
tomorrow’s a vision of hope for a well lived today.
- A glowering future is threatening, be with me as guide:
what might now be waiting to bring shame or pain?
- For those who journey on, the past is fading:
you are the road we travel into tomorrow,
- but the past is ever tormenting those who stay behind:
help us journey on to your future.