KNOWING YOU BETTER PSALM
This psalm shows some signs of having been written a while ago! But the point is still topical, I hope, even if the examples are old. It is the way in which good and bad seem to be around together, as Jesus said, like the weeds amid the harvest fields. I feel the need to sort things out, on God's behalf. But, actually, God is quite capable of doing that.
- My God, I want to know you better:
help me begin to understand what I want to be.
- Life is always a contradiction:
good and bad are in a muddle, and they're inside me.
- South Africa the old enemy is moving into freedom:
Archbishop and President have grown to maturity,
- in England women can also be priests:
the issues divide so many yet liberate also.
- How can you allow such resurrection:
how can we please you amidst the mess of life?
- Does good have to be so mixed up with evil:
is it possible to know what I really want to do?
- Better to remain silent and still to be:
worse to be speaking clearly but to pretend!
- I cannot know anything of you without pain:
for the world is so awful and I want such good.
- Will you make me suffer too, in order to know:
do I have to go through dying to be close to you,
- for if it's really you that I'm trying to find:
the tearing away of other things is painful birthing.
- How can I know what I really want:
do I have to be embroiled in such suffering?
- I decided to know only Jesus - the Christ that is crucified:"
so faith isn't found in wisdom, but in your power alone.