PSALM OF MORAL STANDARDS
How do we know what moral standards to try to keep? The traditional list is not often used, these days, but it may not be a bad start.
- How can anyone live a moral life?:
by following God's commandments.
- Put your trust in God:
for other things will prove to you how untrustworthy they are!
- Give praise to God for a miracle:
but don't demand another one when you want it.
- Practise the presence of God:
for God is with you always.
- So, avoid the hatred that divides you from your neighbours:
the envy that leads you to wanting what others have;
- the greed which exploits the labour of human beings:
and lays waste the good earth our descendants will need;
- the indifference which ignores the plight of the homeless:
the lust which uses the bodies of women and men;
- the anxiety that looks for popularity:
and the pride that leads you to trust only in yourself.
- Love your neighbour as yourself:
treat others, as you would wish to be treated.