PSALM OF GOOD BEHAVIOUR
When we complain about other people, it's often because they are not keeping the rules. We don't often complain that we aren't keeping the rules. Anyway, we don't respond to rules in quite the way we used to (we tend to disobey a rule when we see one!). So what are we to think of the traditional rules of the 10 Commandments, for example?
- The trouble with our world is we've forgotten your law
the Ten Commandments aren't taught to our children -
- "You are God and must always come first
no thing must ever take your place;
- "honour God's name and don't swear
no work on Sunday your special day;
- "respect your parents and elders
don't murder a human being;
- "there's no room for sex outside a marriage
don't steal from other people;
- "no lying or cheating is allowed
no time for envying your neighbours."
- But this law is not respected in our life today
our generation can't respond to old commandments.
- The law is summed up in love, said Jesus
to love God truly and to love your neighbour.
- But we're still selfish as people and in groups
we're not good stewards of your creation,
- we don't worship you above money
greed and sensuality are our basic sins.
- So in everything we can do better
help us deepen our love for you and for each other.