- Four thousand years ago the law was given through Moses
you saved your people through the Red Sea waters.
- Two thousand years ago and grace was seen in Jesus
your power proclaimed in Christ who was raised from the dead.
- Since then the faith has spread through the nations
Christianity is common to east and west,
- one thousand years ago the Russian people accepted it
the Orthodox Church began at the baptism of the nation.
- The Prince himself was converted and churches were built for song
a great and glorious liturgy filled all their land;
- they thought, when revolution came, it might all be gone
churches could only survive by toeing a party line.
- But now belief is possible again
countries of eastern Europe need a faith restored;
- after a generation the barriers have been broken
the Berlin Wall is breached for Germans to meet one another.
- So where is democracy leading us now
shall we renounce the wars and the ideologies?
- The law has been working through religion and politics
but grace has also been seen in church and in society.
- Chinese students in the square caught the hopes of the western world
but the power of the people can still be crushed by the fears of our leaders -
- the march of freedom is carrying us onwards
yet the journey to democracy is long and the road is hard;
- there are bound to be continuing problems
a dying snake will always wriggle.
- We need to believe in people as assets and not as costs
can human beings be valued higher than causes?
- Into a new thousand years, God is leading us forward
you will guide us through, to win your future.
Using ideas from Hilarion of Kiev in the 10th century, Han Suyin on Tiananmen 1990, and a South African saying (verse 13). See, for example, Psalm 78.