QUIET GARDEN PSALM
- Your garden, my God, is green and beautiful:
in the comforting quietness I can feel your presence.
- My house is not always so relaxing:
our family can often be angry and fraught with noise!
- Help me to find your presence wherever I am:
to hear your silence in the daily press.
- For I’m nearer to God in a garden:
than anywhere else on earth.
- I can see your presence clearly, when all is green:
but you are there also in the autumn, in the browns and reds;
- I can hear your voice addressing me, when all is silent:
yet you speak to me also in crowds, in the bustle of business.
- I’m nearer to you in a garden:
and the quietness can focus my listening;
- but teach me to keep the garden always within me:
anywhere else on earth, to be conscious of you.
written in a "Write a Psalm" day 24.11.94 for Phil Roderick