PSALM OF THE COUNTRYSIDE
- The river babbles on, the ducks are gliding:
the English country estate rests on its slopes –
- nothing here has altered from childhood memories:
the country remains the same for each generation.
- Yet everything has also changed – the swallows are gone:
sparrows have all disappeared, things move on;
- that hillside has no heather and trees are felled:
in unfamiliar pools, the fishermen are standing.
- Visitors are different today, parking their cars:
each with their trekker stick or powered wheelchair.
- Tranquillity reflects your presence, changing too:
my God, you are always the same and ever new.
Reflections on visits to Chatsworth & Bolton Abbey summer 03