PSALM OF PEACE
- Why do the nations of the world continually fight one another
why do our leaders put power before peace?
- Selfish greed can lead to violence
we do what we want, in spite of hurting others.
- Human beings seem bound to suffer violence from others
our wars are often civil strife,
- among Muslims or Christians, between Arab and Jew
between black and white races or divided cultures;
- people are killed for politics
murders are committed to express a point of view!
- Why must disputes escalate into anger
why find solutions only after a row?
- I'd like to be able to talk out my differences
a compromise must be better than fighting.
- Teach me to argue without quarrelling
hold me from the brink of violence, if I do quarrel.
- For enemies I'll certainly have around me
but they have a right to their part of your world;
- if I quarrel with my neighbour, stop me from suspecting
and if I suspect, keep my tongue from slander.
- Peace is not to be found in weakness
it's stronger than war, and tougher than selfishness.