PSALM OF TRUST
- Long ago, my God, you called me:
when I had little to offer, you asked me for it!
- You trusted me then in small ways:
and taught me how to be faithful.
- Through thick and thin you are steadfast and sure:
even when hidden or absent you’re waiting for me;
- in my pain or distress you say nothing, but hold my hand:
when everything is grey in emptiness, you carry me along.
- Your goodness shines through the fog:
in terror or agony I still shout for "my God!"
- Whatever may be, you have always been there:
behind my back are your sustaining arms.
- You are the one who is calling me:
and you are the one I can trust;
- others may let me down, and I shall fail:
but you are the one I can trust.
- Thank you - the agony has now been resolved:
since you are the one I can trust;
- now I can see you were always there:
for you are the one I can trust.
- Again in the future you will call me:
you are always filling the unpromising with promise and hope;
- yet you will not remove your suffering cup:
when I’m forced to drink it, I’ll forget about your presence.
- As the priest holds up the cup of salvation:
your trusting spirit feeds my longings;
- as the deacon encourages me to share your peace:
your trusting spirit embraces my loneliness;
- ministering trust will come to me from others:
though they will often fail, when you will not.
- You are the one who gives trust to us all:
you are the one who calls me, and you I can trust.