PSALM OF PATIENCE
- Among our friends and family, we wait for you
we look out for your goodness to us in the congregation -
- for you are a God of patience, who waits for us
you are the one who suffers, and stays beside us.
- Why, my God, do you ask me to wait?
there isn't much time and I'm getting older!
- You have more patience than I, for you are still older
you seem to keep saying "Be patient" while I'm in a hurry.
- Help me to wait on you, while I am waiting
give me the patience of Job, to look for your goodness,
- for what's a year of my life, if I gain what is good?
I can spare a few years more, if that's the right path;
- in just a little time longer, I may be wiser
with only a little more waiting, I may find what I seek.
- It's harder to trust in your Word and keep myself still
than to launch into words in my brain and keep myself talking!
- Sometimes you say "Yes" to me, and sometimes "No"
but it's far more difficult to accept it, when you say "Wait."
- Grant me to learn your patience, to hope in you
then I may continue seeking, for you are so near.
- I do not want to be waiting because I am bored
help me rather to watch for you in trust and hope.
- For you are always pleased with those who seek
with those who wait on you for your gracious support.