PSALM IN PRAISE OF LOVE
This is an attempt to put the magnificent words of 1 Corinthians 13 into the form of a psalm. It may be easy enough to use the original in a group saying it together, but we have so many different versions, these days, I find it easier to use this form.
- We always look for the best out of life
but you, God, show me the way above all others.
- I may be golden-voiced and able to express myself
without you I'm an empty can or mindless rattle;
- I may be a great prophet and intellectual
but I'm worth nothing much without you;
- if I give away everything to charit
without you it'll do me no good at all.
- For you are long-suffering and considerate
you're not interested only in yourself;
- you're never rude or selfish
when I scream at you, you don't shout back;
- you don't gloat in lurid scandal
but you're always ready to find good in everyone;
- your love never has an ending
you will hope and trust in us for ever