PSALM OF THE CHURCH
The experience of Godís apparent rejection of his people is reflected in the common feelings of a modern church, as well as an individual. But God is faithful . . .
- "When Israel was only a child, I loved him dearly:
I called him out of Egypt to become my son.
- "But the more I called my son, the more he rejected me:
he worshipped other gods while I was speaking!
- "Yet I was the parent he knew who taught him to walk:
it was I who took my own people into my arms,
- "I always held them close with affection and love:
when they needed anything, it was I who fed them.
- "How can I give you up now, my wayward people:
even if you don't acknowledge me, shall I desert you?
- "My love for you is stronger than your faith in me:
even when you reject me I'm at your side.
- "For I am not merely human, I am your God:
your holy one who loves you dearly is no angry mortal!"
- Speak to me, my God, as you spoke to Israel:
you addressed your people of old, so come to us now.
- For your belief in us is greater than our faith:
your love for us is deeper than any we know.
- Help us to know you today as parent of your people:
I am your adopted child, with my brothers and sisters.