PSALM OF STEWARDSHIP
Perhaps we should pray more about our money! So "stewardship" has become a common celebration in churches recently. It is usually said to be about our faith not our money, but that may just be the "soft sell."
- Father in heaven we come to meet you:
again as Jesus taught us we use your name and address!
- Yet it's not in heaven but in this world where we meet you:
our daily life and humanity are the world of your creation.
- You've made us responsible for our world:
you gave us what we have and what we are,
- we are but stewards of your bounty:
all good things are ours, held in trust from you.
- Our money and our possessions are not ours by right:
our time and our talents have been given us of your goodness,
- we have to learn to be responsible stewards:
to hold this earth in trust for our descendants,
- to sit loose to what we say we own:
throughout our earthly pilgrimage to travel light;
- you've taught us what you require of your stewards:
it's not what we do or fail to do, but our obedience you will judge.
- Help us to value not success but faithfulness:
grant us to see the real value of the money we use;
- we can use worldly wealth to win ourselves some friends:
not money, but the love of money, is the root of all evil.
- It's not great wealth that we worship:
we honour your faith in us that never wavers.