IMAGE OF GOD PSALM
I think Psalms are about praying. And praying is about more than just saying prayers. So here is another psalm to remind us that prayer can be a perfectly normal activity, not confined to those who are especially religious! This is a reminder, too, that I am made in the image of God - however much it doesn't always seem like it. "This is the day that the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it." That may not be a very accurate translation of the Psalm of David, but it has always been a very powerful reflection of God's love for us, no matter what may happen or where we are. Am I the only person who tends to "think" while washing, or washing up? Well, anyway, at least I do wash every day (or most days!), and if I use that as a time to pray then I can pray every day, too…
- I look in the mirror when I get up in the morning
what I see is an image of an image of God,
- while I wash, I can begin to pray
seeing myself reminds me of you.
- This is the day you have given me
thank you for an undeserved gift of your grace;
- you provide me with time and with love
all things come from you and you give them to me freely.
- When I go out, I'm always in a hurry
greetings in the street are usually superficial.
- I want to be able to tell you how I really feel
being open takes too much of my time and of other people's!
- Teach me, God, to understand my feelings
I want to share your love and be more honest with myself,
- for you can help me be in tune with myself
as I speak with you I'm more like an image of you.