PSALM OF COMMUNITY
I was brought up on the sense of community, where it was natural for people to be neighbourly - we lived closer to one another, anyway. Sometimes I wonder if we have lost that sense of belonging to one another?
- Who is a human being in the eyes of God who made us
what about those outside who don't share our culture or creed?
- Our world is still repressive
we like to dominate others to give us a feeling of status.
- In India, a Sikh man was murdered
Hindus were supporting the crime shouting "Long live Indira Gandhi!";
- his two sons and daughter also died in the tragedy
the murderers, though known, were allowed to go free.
- In Ulster, is society for Protestants only
are Catholics able to share our schools and our homes -
- or must we make everyone keep to the ghetto
is there room in our country only for those who agree?
- Catholics were once excluded from a place in British society
Muslims are the ones we don't welcome today.
- Some protest against fuzziness or liberal leadership
but a refusal to judge can also be a judgement.
- Help us, God, to include not exclude our neighbours
for in rejecting them we too are denying you!