GOOD FRIDAY AND EASTER PSALM
- Sure, Mary wasn’t there, beside that Cross:
Jesus, with Mary and John, it’s not a photograph!
- For they were crude and cruel days – and he was naked:
all our pictures of the Cross are images and stories.
- What Jesus really looked like we’ll never know:
our pictures of him are not true likenesses -
- there are so many faces of Christ, two millennia full:
black or white, yellow or brown, and all are true.
- The gospels were not mere history, but stories to hear:
my devotion and prayer today, sometimes with music.
- So how can I celebrate Easter, it isn’t a lie:
resurrection enables one image to stand for them all.