PSALM OF WORK
- God, my God and my director, you are God of all the world:
you are sovereign of everyone and everything there is;
- what you have made is good and reflects your care:
help us do what is good and live what we believe.
- For we are made like you, and share your creating:
we relate to one another, as you love us.
- But we can misuse the freedom you give us:
we like to rebel against you, and descend to cruelty.
- In spite of the evil within us, your plan for us is justice:
your rule depends on your love, and that is just;
- your government in heaven is a reign of peace:
you can rule in my heart and in all our dealings;
- as Jesus was servant of all:
so we too can serve one another,
- and as you are willing to work with me:
so I can be partner to those around me.
- Help us then be responsible managers:
to produce the goods and services that others need -
- we must make profits to stay afloat:
but we also respect other people as you respect us.
- Your plan is continually unfolding, it’s not easy to succeed:
you ask us to share in your work of creating,
- yet our values reflect the gods that we worship:
our cultures are not always based on your standards;
- help us see a new vision of your work:
so our aims may be more nearly in line with your will -
- in your sovereignty of love, each person has value:
so that must be our guide and our commitment -
- to value each human being as equal:
as we each belong to a community of love.
- Teach me in all I do to be a steward of your goodness:
and together to share responsibility for your world;
- to behave as servants for each other in our work:
to create with you the world of your purpose.
- So may the nations be united with you:
and your rule come on earth as it is in heaven.
- For you have made us, and our hearts are restless:
till we rest in you, for you made us for yourself.