PSALM OF EUCHARIST
The body of Christ is what Christians receive at the eucharist. It is what they are. In the presence of such mysteries, we can only be silent.
- The Lord is here - let all mortal flesh keep silence:
humanity must be humble in the presence of God.
- For Christ is risen and now is with us always:
his real presence is assured because of Easter.
- Lord, your sacrament is wonderful beyond our understanding:
you make yourself known to us in the breaking of bread.
- Yet you appear so often in ordinary people and places:
even disciples don't always recognise you.
- This bread is a sign of our daily work:
the toil of a breadwinner who provides for the family;
- our food must needs be broken before we can digest it:
you're daily broken in us so you can be with us.
- This wine is a sign of suffering:
the shedding of blood for the sake of others;
- all our lesser sacrifices are gathered up in your Cross:
as willingly we accept this cup of your promise.
- You come close to us in full communion:
just as once you came in flesh and will come in your Kingdom.
- As I can see you in this sacrament:
so I know you are with me always from day to day.
- You have given your body and blood for me:
now you are within me and part of me forever.
- As we eat at the table you are here:
when we are together in your name there are you among us.